Aberfeldy is situated at a bend of the mighty River Tay (the UK's largest) and 5km down stream from Loch Tay. There is a fine selection of local shops and restaurants around the main square.
At nearby Weem is historic Castle Menzies, which dates from 1571.
Between the Jacobite wars of 1715 & 1745, the Military Roads of General Wade reached the area thus; every visitor to Aberfeldy should walk across its famous bridge, which provided the vital crossing of the River Tay for General Wade's network of military roads.

The bridge was constructed in 1733 to the design of architect William Adam, father of the more famous Robert Adam. The work was completed in 9 months using chlorite schist from a local quarry. Construction of the bridge was supervised by General Wade and carried out by soldiers employed as labourers. Wade considered his bridge at Aberfeldy to be his greatest accomplishment. Before the construction of the bridge, the river was crossed by a ferry. Thus, the motto of the seal of the Burgh - " Swift and often goes the boat of Aberfeldy. "

. Aberfeldy’s first Post Office opened in 1787. Around this time there was a local cotton weaving industry. In 1865, the railway arrived as a branch line from Ballinluig to the west. Shortly afterwards a gas works was set up supplying coal gas for lighting to the town.
Tourists can visit Aberfeldy Water Mill or Dewar's World of Whisky at Aberfeldy Distillery (built in 1896).
There are many opportunities for walking around the area with the Falls of Moness and the Birks of Aberfeldy (made famous by Robert Burns) perhaps the best know.
Golf is available at a number or local golf courses and the fishing opportunities of Perthshire are world-renowned.
Loch Tay offers water sports and the Crannog Centre - a reconstruction of an Iron Age (2500 year old) dwelling built on timber stilts on the Loch.