The Black Watch memorial commemorating the raising of the world famous regiment. In the wake of the 1715 Scottish rebellion, companies of trustworthy Highlanders were raised from loyal clans. They became known as the Black Watch for the watch they kept on the Highlands and from their dark government tartan. In 1739 King George II authorised the companies be formed into a regiment of foot, "the men to be natives of that country, and none other to be taken". That same year they held their first regimental parade on the banks of the River Tay at Aberfeldy, on what is now part of the Golf course. The monument takes the form of a massive cairn surmounted by the statue of Private Farquhar Shaw dressed in the original uniform of the regiment.